Posted by: Elizabeth Israel
2010 Haiti...today moving towards Ecological Sustainability!
Roy Morrison is Southern New Hampshire UniversityDirector of the Office of Sustainability. He recently completed work including, Seven Postulates for An Ecological Civilization - published by Center for Ecozoic Studies Monthly Musings / February 28, 2011 - not on-line)
Roy talks on how Ecological Sustainability, Peace, and Social Justice are inextricably connected. Some of his key points support GreenMicrofinance's mission.
* An ecological democracy pursues sustainability in all aspects of life.
* We must build the road as we travel towards an ecological civilization and those who would realize and maintain it, must pursue sustainability as their ongoing goal and guide.
* An ecological civilization is characterized by the ongoing pursuit of sustainability in the economic, ecological, and social realms. Success in all three realms is completely interdependent. We cannot succeed in one without succeeding in the others.
* Economic growth must mean ecological improvement.
* We have the technological, economic, political and philosophical means for an ecological turn. Our challenge is to decide to employ them for ecological ends.
* A fundamental marker of progress toward an ecological civilization will be measured by a progressive annual decrease in global carbon emissions, and an annual increase in global economic output that leads to ecological improvement.
* A global sustainable order requires technical assistance and transfer of resources and capital from rich to poor to make possible a sustainable global convergence.
* Without justice and fairness and sustainability for all, there ultimately will be sustainability and prosperity for no one.